Frankfurt Wolfsburg failed to appeal to the Federal Court of the German Football Association. It is therefore certain that the DFB Cup disqualification after a foul in the match against Bryusen Munster was legal.
The collapse of coach Mark van Bommel finally resulted in Wolfsburg losing their place in the second round of the DFB Cup. The Federal Court of the German Football Association (DFB) confirmed the disqualification of the Bundesliga leaders at Thursday’s appeal hearing. The state of Lower Saxony announced this after the meeting, which was chaired by Achim Sebat.
“The appeal is denied: Even after the hearing before the Federal Court of the German Football Association, the first round match in the German Football League in Bryusen Munster will be rated 0:2 against Wolverhampton due to a substitution error,” the club tweeted.
CAS had already granted fourth-tier club Preußen Münster’s objection to the assessment of the first round match in the DFB Cup on August 8 (1:3 after extra time) and re-evaluated the match with 2:0 in Münster’s favour. Wolfsburg appealed this ruling.
Van Bommel came on as a six-man substitute in place of the five allowed. He brought in new VfL coach Admir Mehmedi in place of Maximilian Philipp in the 102nd minute when the score was 1: 1, although he had already exhausted the substitution quota. The referee’s team noticed the error only later in the game.
“The illegal substitution of the sixth player was a gross negligence, as Wolfsburg had all the necessary information about current football law at its disposal,” said Speth, commenting on the reasons for the ruling: which, under applicable football law, leads to a reassessment of the game carried out by the court. sports”.
Wolfsburg saw at least part of the blame fall on fourth official Tobias Fritsch, who was said to have allowed the sixth change to be made at the request of Van Bommel and goalkeeper coach Pascal Fürmann. Fritsch denied this representation at the first hearing.