Mystery deepens in lottery winner's cyanide death
In July, Urooj Khan, a West Rogers Park businessman, died of cyanide poisoning just a few weeks after winning a million-dollar lottery jackpot. Cyanide is a toxic combination of nitrogen and carbon that is acutely poisonous in its solid or gas forms, the Chicago Sun Times reports.
Khan's lawyer said that only weeks before his death, Khan signed a deal with his business partner to ensure that his share of several dry cleaning stores went to his wife in the event of his death, ABC 7 Chicago reports.
"As far as I'm concerned, it was my client's wishes," Al-Haroon Husain, Khan's attorney, said, according to ABC 7 Chicago. "I don't believe he thought he'd pass away so soon thereafter but that's what his wishes were."
Khan's heirs are currently fighting over his estate as the investigation into his death continues.
Upon entering the human body, cyanide prevents cells from using oxygen. When enough cells absorb cyanide, the human body and brain become so deprived of oxygen that tissues start to die. Headaches, cramping, loss of consciousness and death follow. Death can occur between 15 minutes and several hours following ingestion, the Chicago Tribune reports.