Russian village remains quarantined with anthrax
"Today we can say that everything is fine with the people: out of 36 people, who received preventive treatment, only two are under the supervision of doctors now," Anatoly Sevalnev, the chief medical officer of the Zaporizhia region, said, En.For-UA.com reports. "They are a man and a woman from Voznesenka village, who had contacted the infected animal and were hospitalized immediately after the accident. Currently, they have no manifestations of disease, but to make sure that the health condition of these people is good, we should get the results of laboratory tests and withstand a certain period."
Serhit Dehtiarenko, the deputy head of the main department for veterinary medicine in the Zaporizhia region, said that the quarantine measures will continue through at least September 5, according to En.For-UA.com.
In Russia's Altai Territory, 10 people were recently hospitalized with suspected anthrax cases with one death reported.
The outbreak is believed to have started when a villager handled the carcass of a cow infected with the bacterial disease. The man did not seek medical attention for a week after developing symptoms.
Anthrax can be fatal in approximately 40 percent of cases when it is ingested into the gastrointestinal system. Inhalation anthrax can be lethal in as many as 90 percent of cases. Cutaneous infection, when anthrax comes into contact with the skin, is deadly in approximately one to 20 percent of cases if the patients get treatment early, according to Russia's Center for Biosecurity.
If the infection has time to develop inside of a person's body, the disease can become untreatable. People infected with anthrax receive antibiotics to treat the disease in its early stages. Anthrax can be transmitted from infected animals to people but is not transmissible between humans.