Connecticut schools reopen after white powder scare
Manchester Fire Chief Robert Bycholski said that a second round of laboratory tests confirmed that the powder was not anthrax and it is now believed that it did not contain any hazardous materials, according to Manchester.Patch.com.
Keeney Street Elementary School was briefly locked down on Thursday last week and classes were cancelled on Friday after the school's main office received an envelope containing a white powder and a message stating, "Al-Qaeda is back."
School secretary Judy Delong was praised for her quick thinking after she discovered the white powder. Delong immediately placed the contents of the envelope into a plastic bag, then placed that bag into another plastic bag, double sealing the powder inside.
Bycholski said that the second round of testing has led Manchester Director of Health Maryann Cherniak Lexius to authorize the reopening of the school building. Interim Superintendent Richard Kisiel authorized classes to resume Monday.
A similar white powder letter resulted in classes being cancelled at nearby Ruth Chaffee School in Newington, Connecticut. The school was also reopened Monday, according to WFSB.com.
Other white powder scares occurred at Newington schools in March.