ATP Championship: Italy's Berrettini wins tennis championships in Stuttgart


Matteo Berrettini is back impressively. The Italian had to pass injured in Paris. Now he returned to the tennis court in Stuttgart – and immediately won the title.

Italy’s Matteo Berrettini has made an impressive comeback on the tennis tour.

Last year’s Wimbledon champion won the turf tournament final in Stuttgart against Britain’s Andy Murray 6:4, 5:7, 6:3, thus celebrating his second title in Stuttgart after 2019. Berrettini turned 2:40 hours into his second match point. However, Murray scored clearly in the third set. The two-time Wimbledon champion complained of groin and abdominal complaints and was on the verge of giving up.

Berrettini won the championship

In the semi-finals, Berrettini defeated Oscar Otti of Cologne. The 26-year-old crowned his comeback by winning the championship. The No. 10 man in the world has had to stop since mid-March due to an operation on his right hand.

“I wouldn’t have dreamed of it when I got here,” Brittney said. “Of course it was a goal, but I never thought it would actually work,” said the Italian.

Berrettini was initially the dominant player on the center court. He managed to take an early break, which he then did not succumb to during the first set. But Murray improved in the second round and, somewhat surprisingly, was able to level the set. But then the world number one player got injured and could only continue playing with great pain.

Nick Kyrgios has made the headlines once again. The Australian denounced the racist comments of the public after his semi-final defeat to Murray. “One thing I will never tolerate is spectators swearing and swearing at athletes. It’s been happening to me personally for a while, from racist comments to total disrespect,” the 27-year-old wrote on Instagram. “I’ve put it aside for years, but especially in Indian Wells and today in Stuttgart, I’ve noticed that people think it’s normal.”

See also  Super Cup: Chelsea vs Villarreal in the live tape - Bayern Munich's successor wanted

Kyrgios smashed his racket

On Sunday, the organizers announced that no discriminatory statements by viewers would be accepted. “We expressed our regret over what happened to Nick Kyrgios and his team and assured him that we do not accept such behaviour. The incident is currently being investigated by those responsible.” Commitment to sporting values ​​such as fairness, tolerance and team spirit is a top priority.

Kyrgios hit his racket at the end of the first set and was penalized by a point deduction. At the start of the second round, Kyrgios also got into a fight with the fans, insulting them and was discounted to 0:2. After that, the match was on the verge of stopping because the Australian played the match relentlessly until the end and bid farewell to the crowd.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here