Senator Menendez gives statement on consulate attack in Afghanistan

United States Senator Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, gave a statement on Friday following an assault on the U.S. consulate in Herat, Afghanistan.

"I denounce today's attack on our consulate in Herat," Menendez said. "Days after we paused to honor four brave Americans killed last year in Benghazi and pledged to move forward with renewed vigor to properly fund and secure our diplomatic posts overseas, we are reminded yet again of the severe challenges our personnel face, especially in high-risk, high-threat facilities."

Menendez said Congress must now move forward with a spirit of unity and purpose in order to pass new legislation that would improve embassy security. He reminded the other lawmakers that they have a responsibility to protect American personnel overseas. Delaying these actions, Menendez said, would only further hurt these American workers overseas and is not an option.

"This unconscionable act cannot go unpunished and our forces, working with Afghan counterparts, must track down and strike back against those responsible," Menendez said. "At this critical juncture in our engagement in Afghanistan, attacks against our facilities cannot be tolerated by the Taliban or any other insurgent group."