During those years, the TOCDF eliminated the single largest stockpile of aging, deteriorating chemical weapons under the international Chemical Weapons Convention treaty. The building used as an office by international treaty inspectors was the first building scheduled to be demolished.
The destruction of more than 13,500 tons of lethal nerve and blister agents was completed in January 2012 at the TOCDF. The workforce of 1,200 has been reduced to about 230 employees since the project was completed.
The buildings in which destruction of chemical weapons occurred have been decontaminated and certified as safely decommissioned. The safe disposal and recycling of waste will heed Utah's environmental regulations.
Some buildings will remain for use by Tooele Army Depot, which took control of the Deseret Chemical Depot. The depot began storing chemical weapons in 1942 and ultimately stored more than 44 percent of the nation's original stockpile. The area is now known as the Tooele Army Depot, South Area.
Envirocon, a URS subcontractor based in Montana, will conduct demolition during the nine-month project.