Iran condemns use of chemical weapons in Syria
Kazem Abadi, Iran's permanent representative to the OPCW, blamed the Syrian opposition for the purported attack and held the countries backing the opposition responsible for the deaths of at least 25 people and 86 injuries near Aleppo, Syria. The attack occurred on March 19 in Aleppo's Khan al-Assal village, PressTV.ir reports.
"As the greatest victim of chemical weapons in the past decades, the Islamic Republic has warned on numerous occasions about this issue and the potential access of terrorist groups in Syria to chemical weapons and believes the responsibility of the (terrorist) act falls on the countries that have supported these groups," Abadi said, according to PressTV.ir. "It is regrettable that 16 years after the convention banning chemical weapons went into effect, we are still witnessing its continued use. This is a clear indication for the necessity to entirely eradicate chemical weapon arsenals."
The OPCW said at the meeting that the the use of chemical weapons by anyone and under any circumstances is not acceptable and represents a violation of international regulations, PressTV.ir reports.
Iran joined Russia in accusing the Syrian opposition of the chemical weapon attack. Last week, Britain and France cited claims by the Syrian opposition that the attack was actually perpetrated by Bashar al-Assad's Syrian government, according to Reuters.