Nipah and anthrax cause infections in Bangladesh

The Nipah virus killed a boy in Magura, Bangladesh, on Sunday, while four people were infected with anthrax in Sirajganj.

The two-year-old boy died at the Jessore General Hospital on Sunday morning in the Ghosgati village in the Shalikha upazila of Satkhira. Muhammad Shafiqul Alam, the district civil surgeon, said the boy became sick after drinking date juice on Thursday. He was first admitted to a hospital in Magura and was shifted to Jessore on Sunday morning after his condition deteriorated. He died on the same day, United News of Bangladesh reports.

Alam suspected that the boy was attacked by Nipah virus from contaminated date juice. The boy's blood was sent to Dhaka for a laboratory test.

In Sirajganj, at least four people were infected with anthrax in the the Baghabari Paschimpar village Shahjadpur upazila on Sunday. Local health officials identified the symptoms and said the patients received treatment at a health complex.

Abdur Rahman, the residential medical officer at Shahjadpur upazila health complex, said two anthrax infected patients were diagnosed

at the complex on Sunday. Following the confirmation of anthrax, a medical team visited the village and found two more infected with the virus.

Rahman said the patients contracted the disease while handling the meat of an infected cow in the village on February 27. A sample of the cow meat was sent to Dhaka for further testing, according to the Daily Star.