White powder scare hits McAllen, Texas, bank

Employees at a McAllen, Texas-based bank became ill on Thursday evening after coming into contact with a white, powdery substance on a bag of money.

Police took precautionary measures to investigate the substance that covered a bag containing a large sum of money. The substance tested negative for drugs or the anthrax biological agent. The powder turned out to be a cleaning chemical, the Monitor reports.

No bank employees were seriously injured as a result of the substance, though some employees experienced headaches from coming into contact with the chemical.

Employees at the bank called in the police at approximately 4:45 p.m. on Thursday. McAllen police arrived shortly thereafter to investigate the substance.

A courier dropped off the bag earlier that day. The bag included an account slip that would allow the police to ascertain the owner of the money.

The bank, which is located at 1801 S. Colonel Row Blvd. in McAllen, is now operating normally, Fox Rio 2 reports.

Police said they have two leads as to who may have dropped off the bag of money.

Anthrax is a deadly disease caused by the spore-forming Bacillus anthracis bacterium. The bacterium can infect animals and humans via the skin, lungs or gastrointestinal system, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.