One dead in Siberian anthrax outbreak
In addition, there were at least two other confirmed cases of anthrax in the village of Druzhba in the Altai region.
Russia's Emergency Situations Ministry announced the death on Sunday but did not confirm that anthrax was the cause, Bloomberg reports.
Yevgenia Belikova, a spokesperson for investigators in the region, said that roads leading to the village are now closed off to prevent infection. Veterinary officials killed multiple heads of cattle infected with anthrax, vaccinated 187 cattle and 21 pigs and horses, according to the Altai region's press office.
Daniil Bessarabov, the deputy governor, said the anthrax outbreak is now localized and under control, according to Bloomberg.
Anthrax is caused by the Bacillus anthracis bacterium, which can survive in soil for decades after an outbreak. The bacterium is found most commonly in goats, sheep and cattle and can be lethal to humans. Anthrax bacteria cause skin infections and severe lung infections.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, humans can become infected with anthrax from handling protects, breathing in spores or by eating undercooked meat from infected animals.