White powder scare closes Texas hospital emergency room

An anthrax scare at the Angleton Danbury Medical Center in Brazoria County, Texas, caused the hospital's emergency room to be shut down for multiple hours.

A resident in Brazoria County received a package in the mail containing white powder from an unknown address. After bringing the package to a West Columbia Justice of the Peace office, the powder caused a scare and a trip to the emergency room, KHOU 11 News reports.

"They brought it to the Justice of the Peace office in West Columbia," Glenn Lamont, a representative of Brazoria County Emergency Management, said, according to KHOU 11 News. "The contents had come out and it irritated a deputy who had handled it. It caused him nose and mouth irritation, so we treated it with caution as though it was the worst possible thing you could get in the mail, which we've seen in the past, is anthrax."

An independent lab tested the substance and determined that it was harmless.

A spokesperson for Angleton Danbury Medical Center said that 30 patients and first responders went through decontamination as a precautionary measure. All of the patients and responders were discharged and after several hours the emergency room began to accept new patients again, according to KHOU 11 News.