Anthrax scare hits San Jose post office

Emergency personnel responding to a package on Tuesday covered in white powder at the Saint James Park Post Office in San Jose, California, have confirmed that the substance was not anthrax.

After the area was cleared for safety, the post office was reopened upon learning that the powder was an herbal remedy from Taiwan that was ordered by a father for his child. Two employees reporting headaches and sore throats were decontaminated as a safety precaution. The post office was reopened at 11 a.m., San Jose Inside reports.

Employees spotted the package at 8 a.m., just before the facility was supposed to open and hazardous materials crews were called to the building. Police interrupted service on North First Street between St. John and St. James streets, Mercury News reports.

Police in San Jose went to the address on the package and brought the resident to the post office to confirm that the substance was an herbal remedy for his child. After hearing the man's story and allowing the hazmat team to clear the substance, the building was declared safe. The incident was the second time in four months that a post office in San Jose was temporarily shut down due to a false alarm. The previous incident involved a CrossFit exercise trainer wearing an odd mask who stuffed a package into an outside mail slot. Bomb squad members detonated the package, which was later found to be a bundle of oversized calendars.