Sec. of State Clinton reinforces nation's chemical weapons destruction goal

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recently released a statement reinforcing the United States’ commitment to the complete destruction of its entire stockpile of chemical weapons.

Clinton said that the United States has, to date, eliminated nearly 90 percent of its original stockpile of chemical weapons and will continue with its destruction efforts to destroy the remaining 10 percent.

“At the end of the Cold War, the United States joined together with other nations in the Chemical Weapons Convention to state in unequivocal terms that we will end our chemical weapons programs and destroy existing stockpiles, precursor chemicals, production facilities and weapons delivery system,” Clinton said.

Clinton said that the United States is committed to the task of eliminating the weapons as soon as possible under the treaty requirements and in accordance with proper international verification regimes, particularly the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.

“The international community must continue to speak with one voice and remain vigilant, so these weapons pose no threat to people here or anywhere,” Clinton said.

Clinton lauded the efforts of the 188 nations that have jointly agreed to renounce chemical weapons and said that the United States will continue to work closely with OPCW member states.