Man dies from anthrax in Georgia

According to the Tbilisi Infectious Diseases Hospital, a 64-year-old man has died from anthrax in Georgia after cutting the carcass of an infected animal at his home in the Tetritskaro region.
The man came to the local hospital just six days after the incident. After being urgently transferred to Tbilisi, the doctors were unable to save his life, Trend reports.
The doctors told Trend that the disease took on a generic form and that the patient had renal failure and lung cancer. Doctors in Georgia have recently noted a sharp increase in the number of anthrax infection cases in the country. While only eight cases of the disease were seen in 2010, approximately 18 cases of the disease have been recorded in six months in 2011.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, anthrax is caused by the spore-forming Bacillus anthraces, which be transmitted through the skin, lungs or digestive tract. Humans can become infected with anthrax from handling infected animals or products from infected animals. People can also become infected by eating undercooked meat from infected animals.
Treatment for anthrax usually consists of a 60 day course of antibiotics, with success depending on the type of anthrax and how soon treatment can begin. If treated after exposure but before infection, doctors can administer antibiotics combined with the anthrax vaccine.