Man dies from anthrax in Vietnam

According to a province medical official, a man from the northern mountainous province of Lai Chau, Vietnam has been killed by anthrax after slaughtering a sick buffalo.

Lo Van Bo developed a black burned spot on his arm after coming into contact with the buffalo. He died following hospitalization at the medical center of Than Uyen District, Pham Xuan Tan, a district preventive health official said, according to Saigon GP Daily.

Bo was among 10 people admitted to the district hospital with anthrax since the beginning of June. When admitted, Bo was in critical condition with bleeding and sharp head pain.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, anthrax is a naturally-occurring disease in animals like goats, sheep and cattle that is caused by the bacterium bacillus anthracis. Animals can get anthrax by ingesting anthrax spores from the soil but the disease can be prevented by the vaccination of animals.

Anthrax has been reported among animals in many countries. It is most common in parts of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Humans may acquire the disease by coming into contact with infected animals or their products, such as hair or hides. The disease can cause skin ulcers, pneumonia and even death if untreated.