Anthrax scare at Swedish post office

Dalarna County police in central Sweden have determined that a fire at the Borlange post terminal was caused by a fire extinguisher, but that when the fire initially occurred it was feared that anthrax may have been involved.

The explosion caused the post office to fill with smoke and covered workers in a fine white powder. About 30 employees were treated immediately for anthrax, but it turned out to be a false alarm caused by a power extinguisher, according to

“The best thing is that it all turned out for the good,” police spokesman Sven Ake Petters said, reports.

Police received the alarm at approximately 8:20 a.m. on February 2 and found the premises filled with smoke and white powder, according to Petters.

"There were eight people in the premises to begin with, but before the police arrived and the location was sealed off there were several more who had arrived, including emergency personnel," deputy county medical officer Astrid Danielsson said, according to

Police led the investigation into the explosion, but Security Service personnel were on hand after they had been informed of the incident.

The Borlange post office is operated by Posten, formerly Sweden’s postal monopoly. The terminal was evacuated immediately after the incident occurred.