Third anthrax death in Glasgow

Doctors have confirmed that a heroin user who died last week was infected with anthrax, bringing the total deaths from infections to three.

The total number of confirmed infections now stands at five, including the three who have died. The third patient to die was being treated at Glasgow's Royal Infirmary, which also treated the second patient who died.

The two surviving patients are being treated at Glasgow's Victoria Infirmary and Monklands District General Hospital in Lanarkshire. Authorities have said that those unidentified patients are responding well to treatment.

Heroin users who showed skin infections over the previous four weeks are now being re-examined by health experts.

An investigation has been launched by public health experts and the Strathclyde Police into the possibility that a cutting agent mixed with heroin or contaminated heroin is the reason for the infections.

"The possible presence of a batch of heroin contaminated with anthrax makes drug injecting even riskier and even more dangerous," Dr. Syed Ahmed, a consultant in public health medicine, told News.Scotsman.Com. "I urge all drug injecting heroin users to be extremely alert and to seek urgent medical advice if they experience an infection."

Anthrax cannot be passed from person to person and normally infects humans through inhalation or ingestion.