Le ministre de la Santé, Olivier Véran, a expliqué aux députés que la situation épidémique s'aggravait.

Posted on November 30, 2021, 6:12 PMUpdated on November 30, 2021, 6:23pm

You don’t get used to it. Even in the fifth wave of Covid, and after nearly two years of crisis, it is still surprising to see the curve rise. On Tuesday, more than 47,000 injuries were recorded within 24 hours, compared to 37,000 on Saturday and 17,000 in the previous week. The Minister of Health, Olivier Veran, told the deputies that “the situation is getting worse in the face of the epidemic.”

The wave breaks, as a variant known to be highly transmissible knocks on the door of Europe, the global epicenter of the pandemic. A positive case of Omicron was identified on Sunday in Reunion, the minister said, and “more cases could be identified in the coming hours” in France.

More patients in critical care

He explained that with more than 30,000 infections per day, the weekly average of positive cases “could be if we follow this dynamic +60% per week, higher than the peak of the third wave by the end of the week.” In early April, that rate was about 35,000 cases. It approached 48,000 a year ago, at the start of the second confinement. The number of patients in critical care also began rising, to 1,824 on Tuesday, up 24% over the week.

Today, as Olivier Veran fined when he launched his massive booster vaccine campaign, last Thursday, “there is no ban or curfew.” The government hopes to cross the wave with vaccines and a health card. He said there were “much less severe cases, hospitalizations and deaths”.

See also  Keeping your brain active can help delay Alzheimer's disease by 5 years

7.2 million withdrawals were made

In fact, 5,000 and then 6,000 Covid critical care beds, respectively, were occupied during the worst week of the second and then the third wave. In the fourth wave, at the end of summer, the peak exceeded 2000.

The government is trying to block the tide with a booster vaccine. Last week, 2 million booster shots were given, an increase of 500,000 from the previous week, bringing the total number of revaccination cases to 7.2 million.

After announcing on Thursday 25 November that the boost would be extended to all adults from the fifth month after the completion of the initial vaccination schedule, the French flocked to online booking platforms. The government’s goal was to revaccinate 19 million adults, if possible by January 15.

4 million meetings since Thursday

Within four days, 1 million people in this target had already received their third dose, and 4 million appointments were scheduled. Every day, people are scrambling to find a suitable niche online. People over 65, who only have until December 15 to extend their health pass by taking a third dose, have already been revaccinated with over 80% (5.4 million booster doses). The remaining 20% ​​will have to work together to get vaccinated within two weeks.

The Ministry of Health claimed it was “confident” that the target of 10 million recalls would be reached by the end of the week.

The President of the Scientific Council, Jean-Francois Delfraissy, explained that with a booster dose, protection against the risk of serious diseases is multiplied by ten. According to a study released by the Department of Health on Friday, the risk of falling into critical care for people aged 60 to 79 drops by 94% upon completion of the initial vaccination, but after six months that shield becomes less protective: only an 82% reduction in Danger. After recovery, it rises almost immediately to 94%.

See also  Nanofibres use piezoelectricity to grow cartilage

In addition, the extension of primary vaccination coverage continues at a moderate pace among adults – 160,000 first doses last week. The Supreme Health Authority recommended, on Tuesday, the vaccination of at least 364,000 children between the ages of 5 and 11 years, without delay, who are at severe risk of infection. It did not call for a generalization for this age group. However, the government is studying it at the beginning of next year.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here