CDC to release study detailing epidemiology of Guinea's Ebola spread
The outbreak of the Ebola virus in Africa was first reported in March of 2014 within bordering prefectures to Liberia and Sierra Leone. Further analysis indicates that it the disease may have first appeared in Guinea as early as Dec. 2013. Researchers involved in this study reported 553 reported cases in Guinea's capital city, Conakry, while 802 were reported in four surrounding prefectures between Jan. 1, 2014 and March 29, 2015.
Of these, approximately 90 percent -- or 1,226 cases -- were confirmed by a laboratory. The remaining 10 percent, 129, were indicated as probable cases. The scope of this study focused on Conakry, the city’s associated communes and the Dubreka, Forecariah, Kindia and Coyah prefectures.
Numbers of cases per 100,000 people were reported by the study as 33.2 in the capital, 89.3 in Coyah, 136.9 in Forecariah, 24.6 in Kindia and 37.5 in Dubreka.
Researchers believe that transmission in the Conakry and surrounding area can be attributed to the mobile nature of some Ebola virus disease (EVD) patients, community and family transmissions.