U.N. official condemns attacks in Aleppo

The top U.N. humanitarian official condemned on Tuesday the indiscriminate attacks occurring in the Syrian city of Aleppo, where hundreds of people were killed or injured in recent weeks.

Valerie Amos, the under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs with the U.N., expressed concern about the use of heavy weapons and mortar shelling in Aleppo and other parts of the country. U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said last week that the Syrian government used barrel bombs, oil drums filled with shrapnel and explosives, in recent attacks as part of the ongoing conflict.

"I join U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in strongly condemning the attacks against civilians in Aleppo and in many other parts of Syria," Amos said. "People have suffered enough. I remind all parties to the conflict of their obligation under international humanitarian and human rights law, and their responsibility to ensure the protection of civilians."

Three months ago, the U.N. Security Council adopted a non-binding presidential statement highlighting the fact that humanitarian organizations operate in an impartial and neutral manner and require unrestricted access to safely reach all people.

More than 100,000 people are dead as a result of the Syrian conflict with eight million people having been driven from their homes. According to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, 127,000 people are leaving Syria each month.