Anthrax hoax letter shuts down Colorado Springs, Colo., street

Investigators have determined that an envelope containing a white powder that was slipped under the door of a north Tejon Street building in Colorado Springs, Colo., on Tuesday was not dangerous.
The envelope caused a disruption when the building at 31 N. Tejon St. was evacuated and nearby streets were closed off for several hours. Investigators gave the all-clear at approximately 10:45 a.m., saying that the substance in the envelope wasn't toxic. The investigator have not said what the substance was, however, The Gazette reports.
Firefighters and police were called to T.I. Probation Services at approximately 7:20 a.m. after a woman opened the envelope and found it contained a white powder. Thirteen employees were evacuated from the office.
According to police radio calls, the woman who opened the envelope appeared to be the only person exposed to the substance.
White powder is typically associated with anthrax, a lethal infectious disease that was used in 2001 in bioterrorism attacks in the United States. The letters that contained the spores caused five deaths and 22 cases of infection in total.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, anthrax is caused by Bacillus anthracis, which is a bacterium that forms spores. A spore is a cell that is dormant but may come to life with the right conditions. A

nthrax is classified as a Category A bioterrorism agent which means that it may spread across a large area or need public awareness, poses the greatest possible threat for bad effects on public health and needs a great deal of planning to protect the public's health.