Bangladesh anthrax outbreak grows

The human toll from an anthrax outbreak in Bangladesh continues to grow, with 12 more infections reported in Pabna and Sirajganj pushing the total number of infections to 120.

Seven of the newly infected are from Agachaki Uttarpara in the Belkuchi sub-district in Sirajganj, reports. The other five infections are from the Pathailhat of Sathia sub-district in Pabna.

On Sunday, 67 infections were reported in three sub-districts in Pabna and Sirajganj.

The outbreak was first detected among 26 residents of a village in Sirajganj on August 19. Fifteen more people were found to be infected in the next two days.

Subodh Kumar Kundu, the chief scientific officer of the Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control and Research, told that there is no possibility of an epidemic.

Mobile examination centers have been set up in affected areas to combat the disease.

"Field workers and staff from different districts have been deployed here on deputation to tackle the situation," Dr. Mohammad Abdul Baki, the director of the Bangladesh Livestock Directorate director, told "Chief scientific officer of the directorate Dr. Ranjit Kumar Saha is overseeing the laboratory work."

At this time last year, 35 people in the Soto Pathalia village, which is part of the same sub-district as Sirajganj, were infected with anthrax.