PHR urges response to chemical attacks in Syria
PHR, the Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) and Doctors Without Borders have reported chemical attacks being carried out in the Idlib region of Syria. The first attack occurred March 16 in the town of Samrin. The most recent attack that was reported occurred on March 24 on the same town.
PHR Executive Director Donna McKay said the UN Security Council needs to take action.
“The UN Security Council must go beyond condemnation of chemical weapons. It can start by ensuring investigators get full, unfettered access to the areas allegedly attacked,” McKay said. “When there are no consequences for Assad’s outrageous attacks on his own people, it allows further atrocities to take place. Syrians are dying because the Security Council is failing to enforce its own pledge calling for an end to strikes on civilians.”
PHR released a report earlier in March detailing similar attacks and the damage to human life that it has caused in the previous four years. In the report they said that 610 medical personnel have been killed through 233 attacks perpetrated by the Syrian government.